Oregon Parks & Recreation Department - Diamonds in the Rough
Kuri Gill, Grants and Outreach Coordinator
725 Summer St NE, Ste C
Salem, OR 97301
- Arts, Culture and Humanities including Library, Museum and Historical Society Grants
- Public, Society Benefit - Multipurpose and Other
Maximum Grant Amount
Oregon Parks & Recreation Department is accepting applications for the Diamonds in the Rough Grant Program. These grants are to restore or reconstruct the facades of buildings that have been heavily altered over the years. The purpose is to return them to their historic appearance and potentially qualify them for historic register designation (local or national).
Historic Properties Grants Eligibility and Criteria:
- Buildings must have heavily modified primary facades and Clear evidence that substantial portions of the historic facades are still there, covered by newer materials; Historic photos or original drawings that provide clear evidence for guiding the restoration/reconstruction. Lower priority will be given to applications that propose work based on speculation or generic designs rather than historical evidence for that specific building.
- Funds from this grant program may not be claimed for the federal rehabilitation tax credits.
- Buildings taking advantage of Oregon's Special Assessment of Historic Properties program may qualify if they meet the "heavily modified primary facade" requirement.
- All work must meet the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Properties: see http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/tax/rhb/stand.htm
- Remodeling, new additions, or solely cosmetic efforts are not eligible for funding.
- Commercial or public buildings in Certified Local Government communities, designated main Street areas, or local or National Register historic districts.
- Projects with a well-prioritized, clearly explained work plan with an appropriate level of detail and realistic cost estimates.
- Projects that will generate dramatic "before-and-after" results.
- Geographic diversity.
- Project readiness, including matching dollar share in-hand.
Match Requirement is a 1:1 match, which can be in the form of cash, in-kind donations, and volunteer time.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 2/20/2020
Go directly to guidelines and application