Pennsylvania Office of the State Fire Commissioner
- Public Safety
- Public, Society Benefit - Multipurpose and Other
Maximum Grant Amount
The Pennsylvania Office of the State Fire Commissioner is accepting applications to the Fire Company Emergency Medical Service Grant Program.
Fire/rescue companies and emergency medical services may apply for a grant in up to two of the eight eligible program categories. Fire companies that also provide emergency medical service are eligible to apply for both a fire company grant and an ems service grant.
Requests for funding for a combination of up to two projects in the following eligible categories may be submitted for consideration with each grant application:
- Construction and renovation of facilities and purchase or repair of fixtures and furnishings, office equipment, and support services necessary to maintain or improve the capability of the company to provide fire, ambulance, or rescue services OR debt reduction associated with project type A.
- Repair of firefighting, ambulance, or rescue equipment OR purchase thereof.
- Debt reduction associated with the facility (1) or equipment (2) categories above.
- Training and certification of members.
- Education of the general public regarding fire prevention and community risk reduction
- Career Departments Only: Overtime costs associated with back-filling positions while firefighters are attending training (available for Fire Companies only)
- Recruitment and retention, including, but not limited to, volunteer firefighter length of service award programs and programs for minors.
- Construction Savings Account - Fire Departments Only – A fire company may apply for a grant under subsection (a) for the purpose of constructing a new facility beginning with the grant period commencing for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. This project CANNOT BE AMENDED.
Organizations meeting the following definitions will be considered for grant eligibility:
- Career Fire Company - A municipal fire company located in this Commonwealth
- Volunteer Fire Company - A nonprofit chartered corporation, association or organization located in this Commonwealth which provides fire protection or rescue services and which may offer other voluntary emergency services within this Commonwealth. Voluntary emergency services provided by a volunteer fire company may include voluntary ambulance and voluntary rescue services. (Grant awards shall be not less than $2,500 and not more than $15,000 for each eligible volunteer fire company.)
- Emergency Medical Service - Any nonprofit chartered corporation, association or organization located in this Commonwealth, which is licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Health and is not associated or affiliated with any hospital and which is regularly engaged in the provision of emergency medical services, including basic life support or advanced life support services within this Commonwealth. (Grant awards shall be not less than $2,500 and not more than $10,000 per ems service.)
- Career Emergency Medical Services--A for-profit chartered emergency medical service corporation, association or organization which meets all of the following: 1. Is located in this Commonwealth; 2.Is licensed by the Department of Health; 3. Is not associated or affiliated with a hospital unless recognized in accordance with 7823 (b.1) (relating to grant awards); 4. Is regularly engaged in the provision of emergency medical services, including basic life support or advanced life support services and advanced life support squads as defined in 28 Pa Code § 1027.1 (relating to general provisions). This does not include a corporation, association or organization that is primarily engaged in the operation of invalid coaches which are intended for routine transport of individuals who are convalescent or non-ambulatory and who do not ordinarily require emergency medical treatment while in transit.
- Rescue Companies - A nonprofit chartered corporation, association or organization located in this Commonwealth that provides rescue services as part of the response to fires and/or vehicle accidents within this Commonwealth. (Grant awards shall be not less than $2,500 and not more than $15,000 for each eligible rescue company.)
The maximum grant request amounts are $15,000.00 for fire companies and $10,000.00 for volunteer ambulance services, but not less than $2,500 for both.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 9/13/2022
Go directly to guidelines and application