Maximum Grant Amount
American Express makes grants in three key areas: Developing Leaders, Preserving Places, and Serving Communities
Leadership development for emerging nonprofit and social purpose leaders through one or more of the following:
- Helping nonprofit organizations create, enhance or sustain leadership development programs for their high potential emerging leaders.
- Diversifying the current landscape of nonprofit leaders.
- Transforming organizations through best-in-class management and leadership practices, implementing management principles or expanding an organization's capacity to attract, develop and retain leadership talent.
Preserving Places - by invitation only
The projects supported encourage community service and civic participation, delivering measurable outcomes that have a lasting impact on communities through one or more of the following:
- Building the capacity of nonprofits by assisting them in developing, engaging and retaining community members as volunteers.
- Engaging community members and American Express colleagues in ongoing service. This may involve a variety of activities from promoting individual philanthropy, volunteerism or participation in local civic organizations.
- Disaster Relief
When working with local organizations, priority is given to projects in the locations listed below.
- Greater Phoenix
- New York City
- Salt Lake City
- San Francisco
- South Florida
- Washington, D.C.
Around the World
- Greater China
- United Kingdom
Inquiries for funding are accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 3/22/2021 - applications are not being accepted at this time; funding interests have also changed and will be updated when applications open again.
Go directly to guidelines and application