- Youth Development, Youth Programs
- Environmental Quality, Protection, and Beautification
- Employment, Economic Development, Job Related and Business Grants
- Public Safety
- Public, Society Benefit - Multipurpose and Other
Maximum Grant Amount
American Express makes grants in three key areas: Backing Equal Futures, Backing Small, and Backing Low-Carbon Communities
Backing Equal Futures
1. Programs that provide skills and pathways to prepare youth (ages 13 to 30) for long-term success and the future of work, including the green economy, digital futures, and STEAM fields such as science, technology, engineering, the arts and mathematics.
- Programs may include school-based, college, trade school, public service or workforce-related training or mentoring to support skill-building, education, the transition to meaningful employment or self-sufficiency for underrepresented populations.
2. Advocacy to support education and workforce development in underrepresented communities
- Eligible organizations for underrepresented communities include those supporting racial, ethnic, and Indigenous minorities, women, refugees, incarcerated or formerly incarcerated, unhoused and formerly unhoused people, veterans or families of veterans, disadvantaged or people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
1. Support for underrepresented and economically vulnerable small business owners and entrepreneurs through our “Backing Small” initiative, including grants, mentoring support, and technical assistance through established community partnerships. Programs include:
- Inclusive Backing
- Coalition to Back Black Businesses
- Backing Historic Small Restaurants
- Backing International Small Restaurants
- Blueprint: Backing BIPOC Businesses in Canada
- First Nations Business Growth Program in Australia
2. Financial literacy education, training, and mentoring for underrepresented individuals and families to build financial awareness, fiscal acumen and success, including at school age grades 5-12, during higher education, or when individuals are entering/re-entering the workforce.
Backing Low-Carbon Communities
Advance climate innovation and solutions, particularly in urban areas, through:
- Programs, partnerships, and action focused on energy transition, emission reduction, and efficiency
- Community-led climate projects focused on nature-based or clean energy initiatives, including those led by underrepresented groups.
- Disaster relief and resilience building programs and initiatives in extreme weather prone areas and cities where our colleagues and customers live and work to provide immediate and/or long-term relief to natural and man-made disasters and help create climate-resilient communities.
- New York
- Washington DC
Around the World
Applications are by invitation only. If your organization would like to be considered for an invitation, a short introduction form may be submitted at any time.
Note from your Grant Gopher team: The focus areas have changed. If you have saved this grant in the past, be sure to review it again to make sure it still aligns with your funding needs.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 10/24/2022
Go directly to guidelines and application