Vermont Arts Council - Cultural Facilities*
136 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633-6001
Maximum Grant Amount
The Vermont Arts Council is accepting applications to the Cultural Facilities grant program.
Grants help Vermont nonprofit organizations and municipalities enhance, create, or expand the capacity of an existing building to provide cultural activities for the public. Applicants must own a facility that is at least 10 years old, and it must be physically located in Vermont.
Examples of projects eligible for funding include:
- improvements to wiring, heating, lighting, and plumbing
- accessibility features such as elevators, lifts, assistive listening systems, ramps, and bathrooms
- stage improvements such as curtains, lighting, sound, and rigging
- permanent display panels or exhibit cases affixed to the building
- fixed equipment
- improvements to environmental controls, storage, or lighting for collections
- hazard mitigation efforts such as flood gates, rain gutters, or sprinkler systems
The application requires two estimates so start gathering them early.
A 1:1 match is required
At least 50% of that match must be in cash. Up to 50% can be well-documented, in-kind materials and/or labor.
Funds from other state sources may not be used as a match.
Vermont municipalities or nonprofit organizations incorporated in the State of Vermont that:
- own and operate the facility
- have a Unique Entity ID (UEI) from the federal government. You may apply before obtaining a UEI, but an award cannot be made until the UEI is established.
There are several ineligible applicant types; please review the guidelines carefully.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 5/24/2023
Go directly to guidelines and application