Akonadi Foundation - So Love Can Win*
Maximum Grant Amount
The Akonadi Foundation has established the So Love Can Win Rapid Response Fund. The Fund will provide general support grants to support the sustainability and vibrancy of Oakland’s racial justice movement ecosystem.
The 2022 So Love Can Win Fund supports the following strategies:
Base-building organizations who mobilize, support, develop, and build power with their members.
Arts and Culture
Cultural formations that use culture as a tool for racial justice movement building.
Healing justice collectives and organizations providing accessible and relevant healing, wellness and self-care practices using an anti-racist political frame.
Oakland-focused journalism or narrative efforts that highlight racial justice movement building and/or issues impacting Black, Indigenous or people of color communities with an emphasis on promoting community leadership, mutual aid, and cultural resilience.
- Organizations with budgets under $500,000.
- Organizations that advance the leadership of women, trans, queer and non-binary communities; immigrant and undocumented communities; and formerly/currently incarcerated people and their families.
To be eligible for a 2022 So Love Can Win grant, applicants must:
- Be an organization, group, formation or collective
- Be based in Oakland
- Be led by Black, Indigenous, people of color and demonstrate a history of work with Black, Indigenous, people of color in Oakland
- Have 501(c)(3) status or are fiscally sponsored. Akonadi is continuing its partnership with the Social Good Fund, which will waive its normal fiscal sponsorship fees to groups that have been approved for a So Love Can Win grant and are in need of a fiscal sponsor. If you need a fiscal sponsor, please let us know in the So Love Can Win application.
April 1, 2022 – Round 1 opens
May 13, 2022 – Round 1 application deadline
June 1, 2022 – Applicants notified of Round 1 decisions
July 18, 2022 – Round 2 opens
August 19, 2022 – Round 2 application deadline
September 6, 2022 – Applicants notified of Round 2 decisions
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 8/20/2022 - placed in May since that is the next expected deadline.
- Arts, Culture and Humanities including Library, Museum and Historical Society Grants
- Civil Rights, Social Action, Advocacy
Go directly to guidelines and application