56 North Street, Suite 100
Portland, ME 04101
- Youth Development, Youth Programs
- Food, Agriculture, and Nutrition
Maximum Grant Amount
Maine Initiatives is accepting applications to the Flannel Shirt Fund. The Fund’s objective is to connect schools and farms and children to gardens.
Grant support is provided for activities including:
- Development of gardens and greenhouses at schools.
- Developing cafeteria programs that buy local produce and products and engage students in growing and preparing some of their food.
- Field trips to local farms.
- Presentations and workshops on farming, foraging and sustainable agriculture.
- The purchase of gardening books and lesson plans.
- Older students applying their knowledge of gardening by teaching younger students.
The Flannel Shirt fund will award grants of up to $400 to classrooms or small groups. If several classrooms or groups are connecting on a project, the cap is $1,200.
Application deadlines are June 1, October 1, and February 1.
Grant information was last reviewed by our staff on 7/16/2021
Go directly to guidelines and application