Maine Initiatives is accepting applications to the Flannel Shirt Fund. The Fund’s objective is to connect schools and farms and children to gardens.
Grant support is provided for activities including:
* Development of gardens and greenhouses at schools.
* Developing cafeteria programs that buy local produce and products and engage students in growing and preparing some of their food.
* Field trips to local farms.
* Presentations and workshops on farming, foraging and sustainable agriculture.
* The purchase of gardening books and lesson plans.
* Older students applying their knowledge of gardening by teaching younger students.
Application deadlines are February 1, June 1, and October 1.