American Express makes grants in three key areas:
American Express makes grants in three key areas: Developing Leaders, Preserving Places, and Serving Communities
Leadership development for emerging nonprofit and social purpose leaders through one or more of the following:
* Helping nonprofit organizations create, enhance or sustain leadership development programs for their high potential emerging leaders.
* Diversifying the current landscape of nonprofit leaders.
* Transforming organizations through best-in-class management and leadership practices, implementing management principles or expanding an organization's capacity to attract, develop and retain leadership talent.
Preserving Places - by invitation only
The projects supported encourage community service and civic participation, delivering measurable outcomes that have a lasting impact on communities through one or more of the following:
* Building the capacity of nonprofits by assisting them in developing, engaging and retaining community members as volunteers.
* Engaging community members and American Express colleagues in ongoing service. This may involve a variety of activities from promoting individual philanthropy, volunteerism or participation in local civic organizations.
* Disaster Relief
Inquiries for funding are usually accepted and reviewed on an ongoing basis throughout the year. However, the program is on hiatus currently but is anticipated to reopen.